1. I have been on every continent with the exception of Antarctica (with no intention of going there). On April 12, 2003 I stepped out of the airport in Rio de Janeiro and inhaled the warm Brasilian air and accomplished my goal of being on every continent that isn't almost entirely an icecap. I have lived outside of the US for 12 years and have been very fortunate to travel to a number of countries. I hope to continue seeing the world.
2. I am an American born in the US, yet English is my second language. I left the US and moved to Ghana at age 1 and learned Twi before English. I remember taking standardized tests where
non-US citizens who were ESL speakers had the option of TOEFL, etc.
Granted I was too proud to take a "helping hand", I believe I should have qualified. After all, English *is* my second language.
3. I am a die-hard Redskins fan and I have had season tickets for over 10 years. Even though I'm now in Florida I fly to DC and catch 4 or 5 games per season - the warm weather games of course. We haven't had much to brag about in recent years, but the optimism doesn't fade.
4. I ran track and tried to make it on the circuit in Europe (unsuccessfully). I trained post-NCAA at the University of Virginia and in June 1993 earned my first sponsorship to a meet in New Jersey (this would serve as a stepping-stone to Europe). Two days later I ran barefoot from my car in the rain and
slipped into a railing and got 2 lacerations in my right foot and my season was instantly over. I then semi-retired. I have been in semi-retirement ever since. ;-)
I did hold the UVa Indoor 200m record for 2 years. It was broken by my friend who then had it broken 10 minutes later by another friend. Even though the first friend was faster than me, I can always brag that I held the record longer than he did!
5. I hope to one day have an M-collection. I'd like to own 1 of each generation M3 - I currently have an E36 and would like to add
an E30 and E46 too. I'd like both generations of M5s as well, but I'm more interested in the 3-series. My appeciation for BMW started in 1991 when I took a friend's mother's 535i 5-speed through a road nicknamed "21 curves" (and survived). Six years later I bought my first BMW, and it has been an absolute joy to drive. I'd also like a Porsche 993 targa or cabriolet - enthusiasts will understand why. One day......
The 3 people I MEME'd are:
Teressa Thompson because she's brand new to AR and I want her to make a grand entrance.
Hamid Grinage because I recently referred business to him and he's performed wonderfully. AR members should get to know him.
Grace O'Malley because she's been a latent AR member and I want her to be more active.