With the go-go lifestyles we lead, it can be easy for life's to-do list to be overwhelming. My monthly home & lifestyle maintenance checklist will help you stay organized, show you how to do a little at a time, and how to get everything DONE.
- Start spring yard clean up. Edge and lay a fresh layer of mulch in beds
- Top dress and reseed lawns. Mow when grass gets to be 4" high. Be sure not to mow it too short.
- Fertilize almost everything.
- Double check all gutter extensions and splash blocks to ensure water is being carried away from the foundation of the house.
- As spring rolls in, remember to check your basement for cracks or leaks. If you see moisture, call a professional to check it out. Many homeowner´s insurance policies no longer cover fungus or mildew damage, so sealing basements is more important than ever.
- Fill all bathroom sinks to the top, and let the top drain remove as much water as it can before pulling the drain plug. Running water through the top drain will help prevent slow drain issues when done regularly.
- Check all the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Also double check the expiration of your fire extinguisher. If you don't have one - get one.
You can stay on top of your home's maintenance by doing the little things all year long. Just a little bit of effort through the year goes a long way toward avoiding major headaches down the line. Check back next month for the next volume of my Household Maintenance Made Easy series. Happy Homeowning!
- Prepare for vacation. Schedule time off. Make reservations and schedule flights for summer months.
- Organize your paper life. Root out and recycle old magazines, newspapers, and assorted mementos. Build a new file system or clear out old files that are past being useful.
- Start a file named Household Maintenance Schedule. Print off each monthly checklist to hang on your refrigerator. When the list is completed, file away for future use.
- Prepare taxes or have them done, if you haven´t already. File electronically this year. If you owe, write the check and prepare to mail...on April 15 and not a minute sooner.