Interesting post about social media. What are your thoughts?
I attended a free seminar today, for members (there is a basic free membership), over at the International Social Media Association (Mari Smith is the President of this Association). As good as this content was that was given away for free, I can't wait to look into some of their other memberships!
This call that I attended today was given by Lisa Larter with Mari Smith called: "Social Media is NOT the Silver Bullet You Think it is" and several of the worthwhile things that I came away with from this call were:
- Keep a focused profile on all your social media sites...do not mix multiple interests and just confuse your visitors into being unsure of what they should actually pay you to do for them ;-)
- The search bar on Facebook allows you to search for a lot more than just people, the advanced feature allows you to search by city, interests, etc... it's still in beta, but check it out: http://apps.facebook.com/advancedsearch/
- Standard info that we already know...we should all be active on at least Facebook, Twitter and Linked In...and I am adding Active Rain to that list, because for our industry it is a given!!!
- They tell us that setting aside an hour a day for Twitter or FB, whatever, isn't as effective as "checking in" throughout the day, like you would check your voice mail and email messages...timeliness of response counts and carries weight!
- They mentioned that a common problem that may people make is to only network "up" - basically only responding to people who they think could do something for them, etc... you never know who "the little guy" could be related to or associated with or how his life situation might change at some point in time. Treat everyone how you want to be treated and it will come back to you ten-fold over the years.
And the quote of the day on this call was: "Grout your day with Twitter!" (credit was given to @MariSmith who bounced the credit off to @nerdist) - basically this just means what I was talking about in #4 - social media should be the glue that holds your day together...and unifies it into a success!
BIO: I have successfully owned and operated a Real Estate Virtual Assistant business, specializing in Real Estate Support Services, since March of 2000. I have several accreditations and have received many client testimonials over the years. I have over 20 years of administrative experience, I am a licensed agent in California (#01442002) and I specialize in on-going, value-based services provided to real estate agents and brokers...long term relationships with my clients are my greatest success stories. I am a contributing author over at RealBlogging.com, you can read my articles that I have written, all directed towards real estate professionals, by clicking here. I am also a fairly active participant / contributor over on Active Rain...you can visit my profile page here.
GeteRealtyDomains.com - Your One Stop Real Estate Domain Name Registration and Hosting Service...lots of extras...one LOW price!