I've recently been working with a couple that want to buy a home for between $15,000 and $20,000, but don't speak or understand English all that well and don't have access to the internet. So the communication process goes something like this...
- Husband finds a home he likes
- Calls Brother-In-law (who speaks and understands English pretty well)
- Brother-in-Law calls me to schedule a showing when we can all attend so he can translate
- I schedule and confirm then call Brother-in-Law
- Brother-in-law calls Husband back and we finally have a showing scheduled.
As you can imagine with this kind of process and in this price range, there have been homes sold in the timeframe that it's taken us to get a showing scheduled.
So Husband finds a house that just came on the market the day he drove by it and we finally go through a property AND are able to get him under contract!! Woohooo they're excited and Brother-in-Law calls me every couple of days to see how the process is coming.
We get all the admendments signed (this was a foreclosure home) earnest money turned over, lead based paint disclosures signed and are waiting for Title work to come through and we're ready to close! I call Brother-in-Law to tell him we're all set and that all we are waiting for is the title work and wiring instructions (cash transaction)...should be anytime now
YES....Title work is in!! I'd better go through it to make sure names are spelled correctly and there are no surprises.....just in case... And THERE it was in black and white..
"Unfortunately, this will not be able to close until after Dec. 16th,
2010 due to the US Right to Redemption as noted on the title work.
Please advise if the buyer will be willing to wait until then, and
forward an Amendment extending thru Dec. 24th to allow for updates if
December 16th!!! Turns out the department of justice has a lien on the home and has until then to claim the property.....Lesson learned about how important it is to have a title search done. My buyer could've purchased the home moved in and ultimately lost everything if the d.o.j. were to come in and seize the property.
Guess I'll go call Brother-in-Law and start the process all over again after we get a mutual release signed.
Brian Kuhns, REALTOR
Coldwell Banker Roth Wehrly Graber
(260)489-2485 ext 8487
find me on FACEBOOK