"If you smell it, you can't sell it." Dad used to say that to his sellers. I now tell it to mine too.
The wrong odors in your home can drive buyers away and kill the sale of your home. Smells create atmosphere and ambiance. Some common smells that deter buyers are pet odors, smoke, and mildew/mold.
So, what can be done?
- Take the smoking outside. (Keep in mind, smoke in the garage DOES seep into your home.)
- Do a deep cleaning, including the furniture, walls, floors, and carpets. It will take some extra time and effort, but well worth it. A fantastic company to help is ZeroRez.
- If those pesky odors still linger, then consider painting the walls with a bottom coat of primer.
- Replace the carpets altogether. The return may be worth the cost.
- Do not cook a meal before a showing. Some meals that taste good, leave a stale after-odor
- If you have/had water damage and you suspect mold damage, be sure to hire a reputable company to remediate.
- (If you have any other suggestions, leave them in the comments...)
Masking odors with fragrances only amplifies the smell. I can't tell you how many times I have smelled kitty litter covered with potpourri from a can.
The right smell can make buyers feel comfortable and at home and will help you get your home SOLD!
Signature Realty is a colorado based real estate company serving the Denver Metro area including: Arvada, Aurora, Broomfield, Centennial, Conifer, Downtown Denver, Englewood, Evergreen, Highlands Ranch, Lakewood, Littleton, Golden, Morrison, Northglenn, Thornton, Wheat Ridge, Westminster