How do you do a Quiet Title in Michigan?? Part 2

Real Estate Agent with Re/Max Platinum

To Quiet a Title in Michigan the process itself is not that difficult but you should hire a good attorney to do this for you as it will speed up the process and you will ensure that it is done correctly!

We will outline below the basic steps that need to happen in order to make the Quiet Title happen successfully. This is not exact but at least it is a guideline to follow!!

1) A Lawsuit needs to be filed

2) There needs to be a postal verification of the last known address on record from the deed

3) There needs to be an attempt made to serve the person/people from the deed  that has caused the break in the chain of title 

4) There needs to be a publication placed in the newspaper for 7 days explaining the lawsuit

5) After 7 day publication then there is a mandatory 10 day wait

6) Default is noted if the person that caused the break in the title does not come forward and prove that they have some sort of rights to the deed 

7) Wait 10 days again after the default is noted

8) File a motion with the court

9) Wait for the court to schedule your appearance

10) Go into court to show them documentation and proof

11) Obtain Quiet Title which then makes the "Break in the Chain of Title" repaired and you can now sell the property to someone who needs to obtain a mortgage!

 I hope this helps you answer some questions and make your Real Estate Learning Curve a little less troublesome!!

If you would like to learn more about The Joel Schmidt Team and how we can help you, feel free to visit us online!!



This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
estate sale
title work
title problems
title committment
quiet title
break in the chain of title
deed problems

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Julie Graber

Wow, this is great information. Thanks for sharing!

Apr 24, 2010 12:55 AM #1

Good info.  Do I need to get a quiet deed if I have a deed, but not an assignment of purchasers interest in land contract (paid off years ago by purchaser)

Aug 11, 2010 07:09 AM #2
Joel Schmidt

Oh boy that is a great question... I would contact a title company to ask that question. I have not run into that problem!! 

Aug 12, 2010 03:05 AM #3
Michael and Ceili Yablonsky
RE/MAX SunQuest - East Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks for this post.  We are starting to run into tax sales and generations of Quit Claim Deeds on a parcel.  Soon Title companies will not insure a property with a Quit Claim Deed unless it is a direct relation.

Jun 22, 2011 11:41 AM #4

The bank has relinquished a property I financed and went into foreclosure on stipulating I pay the back taxes. When I financed the home, Country Wide never changed the title into my name. How do I obtain a quiet title?

Feb 06, 2017 04:27 PM #5
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Joel Schmidt

Where a Fresh Approach is Key!
Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Additional Information