I watched a great special on HGTV called the 25 Biggest Decorating Mistakes. All of these items are important to note on a day to day basis but some really stood out to me as extremely important when you are putting your house on the market to sell.
I've highlighted the items that I feel are imperative to remember when preparing your home for sale. I've added my own comments in parenthesis.
25. Contour toilet rugs - ( or toilet lid covers)
24. Too many photos displayed ( depersonalize, keep the buyer focussed on the big stuff)
23. Ignoring your entry way/foyer (first impressions are important)
22. Exposed cables-of the media variety
21. Out of place, themed rooms (a Bali bedroom in Alaska would be a no-no)
20. Outdated hardware and accessories
19. Lop-sided furniture arrangements
18. Keeping something you hate
17. Too formal décor (spaces shouldn't be uninviting ‘museum rooms')
16. Uncomfortable dining chairs
15. Lack of a traffic pattern through rooms
14. Making everything matchy-matchy
13. Following ‘fads'
12. Furniture that's too big for a room, making it cramped (or too much furniture for the room)
11. Too many colors or patterns in a room (harsh colours and wallpaper are a no no)
10. ‘Floating' area rugs (the front feet of the furniture arranged around the area rug should be placed on the rug to anchor it)
9. Improper lighting (clean your light fixtures, replace all bulbs)
8. Artwork hung too high (I see this way too much - remove the large wedding portraits also)
7. Tacky couch covers
6. Up-against-the-wall furniture arrangements (make cosy seating arrangements)
5. Ignoring window treatments
4. Fear of color
3. Knick-knack overload (decutter, declutter, declutter)
2. Too many pillows on sleeping or sitting surfaces ( Actually when selling, pillows can be a great accessory adding color and texture)
1. Fake flowers - ( Always have fresh flowers on view while your house is on the market)
I think the decorators who did this piece for HGTV did a pretty good job with this list. These are good reminders as some people get stuck and don't think about changing up their decor.
The look of your home's interior can be tweaked very easily and with little or no money.
Spring is here and it's a great excuse to rid your home of the winter blues.
Photo source: www.bunnyrabbit.com