Carbon Monoxide

By
Home Inspector with Kollias Property Inspections, Inc.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless and tasteless. It is produced when any fossil fuel, including natural gas is burned. When fossil fuels do not burn properly, CO can build up and cause sickness - even death. CO can build up when gas appliances are used improperly or not vented properly.

Safety Measures:

  • Never heat your home or apartment with your gas range or oven.
  • Have your gas appliances and heating systems inspected annually by a qualified contractor.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

Symptoms of CO poisoning:

  • Dizziness, nausea, headache and coughing.
  • Irregular heartbeat.
  • Pale skin with cherry red lips and ear tips.

If you suspect CO poisoning:

  • Get fresh air and stay outside.
  • Call 911 or your local fire department.

Effective January 1, 2007, every Illinois home is required to have at least one carbon monoxide alarm in an operating condition within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. Homes that do not rely on the burning of fuel for heat, ventilation or hot water; are not connected to a garage; and are not near a source of carbon monoxide (as determined by the local building commissioner) are not required to install carbon monoxide detectors. (Public Act 94-741)

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Tags:
carbon monoxide

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Post a Comment
Spam prevention

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
16,735

Tom Kollias

Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention