Carbon monoxide detectors are a good thing to have in a home.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced when a fuel is burned. Natural gas, wood, oil, liquid propane - all produce carbon monoxide. If the ventilation system for your furnace, heating stove or fireplace become blocked or stops working properly, carbon monoxide can seep in to your home without you ever being aware. This gas can be deadly, so a carbon monoxide detector can truly be a lifesaving device.
Carbon monoxide detectors are much like smoke detectors. They can be battery operated or electric, either hard-wired or plug-in. Like smoke detectors, it is recommended to have one on every level of your home. Placement in the hallway near any sleeping areas is highly recommended. The cost generally runs about $35-45 per detector. Dual smoke detector/carbon monoxide detectors are available as well for a little bit more.
Starting February 1, 2011, carbon monoxide detectors will be required in all residential properties. Now, the government is not going to come in to existing homes to insure that these are present and there is no penalty for non-compliance, but all home inspectors must check for carbon monoxide detectors effective that date.
Carbon monoxide detectors are good things for every home owner to have, but anyone who is considering selling a home should be aware of the changing laws. Pick up a couple detectors now and save yourself trouble later. Anything home sellers can take care of a simple fix to prevent a home buyer stressing over the inspection report, it is a good thing.
Hopefully that is the only thing that carbon monoxide detector will ever have to save, but it is good to know that if you need it, the detector will be there for you.
Image from First Alert.
This entry hasn't been re-blogged:
Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
- Topic: Home Improvement
Find what you need?
See More Blog PostsAbout Real Estate! SEE MORE NOW!