What Home Sellers Can do to help their Realtor get their Property SOLD. After you have chosen a Realtor to walk you through the process of selling your property, there are a quite a few things you can do to work with your agent to speed the sales process.
1. Choose a Realtor and then know that you have formed a partnership. The Realtor only gets paid if your property sells. Your goals are the same and it helps if both Seller and Realtor are working in conjunction toward that goal.
2. Be absolutely honest with yourself and with your Realtor about your expectations. If you want lots of communication from your Realtor, tell them upfront. If you only want to know when an offer comes in, let your Realtor know that also.
3. Be sure that you understand the status of the real estate market in your area. All Real Estate is local. The market value of your property is determined by the prices for which similar properties have sold. If your home is 2300 square feet, has one acre of land, is new and in a great location, your Realtor will help you price your home to reflect the sales of similar houses in similar neighborhoods of similar size and condition.
Those prices can change just like stocks. You may buy a stock for $50 a share and it may go up to $100 a share or it may go down to $25 a share. Real Estate is similar in many ways. A property is worth what the market will support.
4. Keep your house showing ready. Declutter, neutralise, leave cabinets and closets with extra space in each. When a buyer comes to view your property, the curb appeal is the first chance you have to impress them. Do a great job.
No trash, no clutter, no pet smells allowed. Would you buy your house if every closet was filled to capacity? Probably not. Start to pack your collections and put them in storage.
5. When your property is being shown, please leave. Buyers love to look in closets and cabinets to see if their possessions will fit those space. They will be reluctant to do that if you are around. A buyer will stay longer at your home if they feel comfortable in the space. If you are there for the showing, they often feel that they are being pressured to make a quick decision about your home. If you are not there, they will often stay to get the "feel" of the home.
There are more tips to come. Check in on our blog in the next few days to find more ways that you can help your Realtor get your property sold.