*The above word clouds are comprised of actual words and phrases from the 3,000 reviews we surveyed.In my last article we covered some of the results from our survey of almost 3,000 reviews of property management companies on Yelp and Yahoo Local (read it first). We found that while there was a mix of tenants, owners, contractors, and realtors leaving reviews, the vast majority of the reviews were left by tenants. This makes sense if for no other reason than the fact that there are far more tenants than any of the other groups. The fact that the reviews are highly polarized (love or hate) was easy to pick out, but beyond that there were a number of other common themes that came up over and over again. Here were the key issues that for tenants and landlords:
- Delayed reaction time to phone calls and e-mails
- Failure to promptly send out checks
- Excessive and/or unexpected fees (especially maintenance fees)
- Incompetent maintenance staff or contractors (slow, shoddy, overpriced work)
- Took too long to find a tenant
- Placing low quality tenants
- Quick placement of tenant
- Placement of quality tenants
- Made the landlording process easy
- Professional demeanor and rapport
- Knowledgeable staff, understand the law and finer points of dealing with tenants
- Long-standing maintenance requests - Tenant feels ignored or like they're being passed from person to person in an revolving door of personnel and empty promises and excuses.
- Run down dwelling - Everything from bugs to water spots. The worse the circumstances the more upset they are and the more explosive and colorful the review.
- Rejection of maintenance or upgrade requests
- Hard to get ahold of management. Took multiple phone calls and emails.
- Failure to return all or a portion of the security deposit.
- Rent increases - too often or a sharp jump.
- Unfair enforcement of lease violations, fees and evictions.
- Poor interpersonal skills - Property manager was rude, condescending etc.
- Bait & switch - Showing a unit different than the actual unit issued, making false or misleading promises or move-in incentives, etc.
- Friendly caring staff
- Property manager was understanding and genuinely wanted to help tenant
- Quick response to maintenance requests
Originally posted on managemyproperty.com under, "Top Complaints & Praises in Online Reviews of Property Managers"