You read and followed the best advice for getting your home prepared for sale. You removed negatives by painting, upgrading flooring and counter tops. You have wonderful curb appeal, you had a landscaper come in and make yours the nicest looking yard on the block. After reading and watching cable TV you even had your home professionally staged. So far so good.
Man your home is looking so good. It is looking so good that you are sure it will sell for more than the others in your area. Earth to seller you are leaving the path.
Until now you were doing well. Here is the problem, if you are in one of the areas that has a lot of inventory, your home will not sell if it is over priced. You will compete with many desperate sellers that will do almost anything to sell.
Ok we may be off the path a little, but there is time to save you.
Hire a top of the line professional Realtor to market your home. What are we looking for?
- An agent with a track record in the community or subdivision, who has a record for selling homes and not just taking listings.
- An agent who came prepared for your interview with market data and a marketing plan to get your home sold.
- An agent who spends time and money marketing homes and not just themselves.
- Look for professional designations and licenses. This is a clue to whether they invest time and money in training and whether they take their business serious.
- Be sure they do this full time and are not hobbyist.
When considering your Realtor, remember this is a relationship that will tie up your property A Realtor who charges the lowest fee is rarely the highest value. They usually give the least amount of service. You will continue paying mortgage while your home is on the market. All of your plans will be on hold. Time is money!
Look for an agent who tells you the truth and not what you want to hear. Months from now when your home hasn't sold you will wish you followed this piece of advice.
As many real estate markets cool, it is not time to bring in the amateurs. You will meet many desperate agents who will tell you anything to get your business. They may offer discounts on their fees, they may promise you the moon, the sky and stars. But in the end, will they sell your home?
As a home owner you need to do your due diligence in preparing your home and selecting a real estate agent. Good Luck and good home selling!