With all the talk about gas prices up and down, everyone is effected as they plan their trips for the summer. I have to admit, it is a factor. If I have a long drive planned, I always compare the other transportation costs. It's just a wise move to check out all your resources ahead of time. I'd rather not find out later that I could have saved a bundle by taking the train, or even gotten a deal on a flight because they had seats left over. Not everyone can wait until the last minute to finalize their plans, sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best.
We are planning a trip to Southern California, but we are also thrilled that we don't need to go far this summer to have some fun. Right in our back yard we have wonderful choices with something new every day.
If you make a stop in Ashland this summer, you'll find it hard to decide what you want to do, so stay a little longer and do it all! Some of my favorites are:
- Rafting on the Rogue and Upper Klamath Rivers. There are guided trips for 1/2, one day, and multi-days.
- Emigrant Lake is a Jackson County park offering boating, lake swimming, fishing, and two large water slides.
- Crater Lake, is the deepest lake in the US and known for its intensely blue waters. (80 miles north of Ashland).
- Fishing in the Rogue River
- Skiing on Mt. Ashland during winter and Hiking on Mt. Ashland through summer
- Biking in the Pedestrian Friendly town
- and of course watching the numerous outstanding baseball games played by the Grizzlies (I'm not partial, but my son is an amazing pitcher)..I'm just saying...
- Lithia Artisans' Market downtown with great local artisan shopping outdoors on the creek.
- First Friday Artwalk we never miss all year long is a free event held the first Friday evening of every month in which the galleries and wineries join force. Patrons stroll Ashland's many galleries to meet the artists, see demonstrations and enjoy free refreshments and entertainment.
- Britt Festival in nearby historic Jacksonville is an open-air concert space with varied events all summer and has a great selection of well known performers. This summer features Styxx, Harry Conick Jr., Jewel, Barenaked Ladies and since I love a good laugh, I was excited to see Steve Martin will be there also.
Bring the family and come by to see me this summer as we look look at historic homes by day and play by night.