Addison Pacesetters (the 50+ group) meet the first Wednesday of each month at Dunn Bros. Coffeehouse on Beltline Road and learn about the Town of Addison. This month, Neil Hewitt, member of the Addison Arbor Foundation, spoke to us. Here are some interesting tidbits from his presentation.
- In April 2009, the Addison Parks & Recreation Department conducted a survey. A community garden ranked 3rd on the wish list of the participants.
- Attendees at the Addison Arbor Foundation pledged to participate in the community garden.
- The Addison Pacesetters have informally discussed the community garden concept and displayed enthusiastic support.
- The design and project plan for the community garden is 80% complete. In order to maintain Addison's high standards, time and money are required to complete the other 20%.
- The infrastructure of the community garden is ahead of schedule and should be completed by June 15th.
- The grand opening is scheduled for September, 2010.
- The gardens are located at the south west corner of the Addison Athletic Club property (across from the entrance to the outdoor pool).
- Charter memberships will be accepted starting in July: 50 hours of volunteer time, $100 fee, name on plaque displaying charter members (but volunteer hours begin accumulating now).
Next month, the first Wednesday is July 7th. Come out and join the Addison Pacesetters at Dunn Bros.