Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas found in combustion fumes, stoves, gas ranges and heating systems. It's poisonous to humans because carbon monoxide binds to red blood cells, preventing the flow of oxygen through a person's bloodstream.
There's a bevy of CO sources in the home and that may be why more than 20,000 Americans are sent to the emergency room each year because of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. 5 percent die from it.
Therefore, whether you own a home or rent one, equip your place with working carbon monoxide detectors and test them regularly. In this 2-minute video from Lowe's, you'll learn how to get started:
- How to mount CO detectors using basic household tools
- In what rooms to install CO detectors for maximum safety
- How often CO detector batteries should be changed
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a four-season danger at home. Protect your yourself and your loved ones.
Posted by Michael LaFido on June 07, 2010 | Tags: DIY