If your home's inside temperature is feeling more like the warm outside temperature, it could be a problem with the air conditioning system. What should you do when there is no air conditioning working in your home?
- Check the thermostat. Is it set to "cooling" or "AC?" Is it set lower than the room temperature indicated on the dial or screen? If it's a digital thermostat, is the battery dead?
- Check the on/off switch on the side of the furnace or near the furnace. The furnace distributes air for the air conditioner and must be on.
- Is the disconnect switch outside at the AC unit switched off, disconnect pulled or the fuse blown?
- Is the main breaker fuse for the air conditioner off? Reset the breaker or replace the fuse.
- Check for a broken belt or clogged air filter on the furnace
- Is the coil above the furnace iced up?
- Is the exterior coil dirty or blocked by plants?
- It is always important to call a qualified service technician when you have questions or concerns and don't feel comfortable performing the checks above yourself