CAN I BUY A HOME IMMEDIATELY AFTER A SHORT SALE?
This is one of the first questions asked by homeowners who consult with me about the possibility of short selling their property in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach and within all towns in Palm Beach County, Florida.
What follows are the current guidelines and qualifiication on when a homeowner who has gone through the short sale process can, once again, purchase a home. I underlined current guidelines because these guidelines are subject to change and circumstance.
If you are a distressed homeowner in Boca Raton, Delray Beach or Boynton Beach, Florida who is thinking of short selling their home please feel free to contact me for a current update on the process, procedures and potential ramifications of a short sale.
Can I buy a home immediately after a short sale? The answer is yes.
The other day I received a call with this exact question from a Woodbridge, VA short seller. I answered, "Yes you can with FHA, if you meet the following qualifications":
- Home short sold cannot be a FHA loan
- Must have been current on mortgage at time of sale
- Sold home must not require deficiency payment for the difference
- 620 minimum credit score
- 3.5% down payment
- Short sale caused by extenuating circumstances and not just a person trying to take advantage of the market (by selling short and buying same type home at half the price)
The last requirement of extenuating circumstances is where it gets cloudy. An extenuating circumstance, according to FHA is one of the following:
- Job loss or loss of income
- Sickness or illness of the borrower
- Death of a wage earner
- Circumstances beyond your controlIf you don't meet the above criteria; here are the time frames you have to wait before purchasing again:
-Fannie Mae Conventional 2 years with 20 percent down payment
-FHA- 3 years from time of sell
As we continue to be in this market of short sales and foreclosures look for more lending guidance to come with hopefully shorter time frames. Buyers should not be punished or kept out of the market for situations beyond their control.
Markita Aldridge-Woods of WestStar Mortgage, Inc. Contact me via email or call me direct at 703-497-3936 for answers to your questions about mortgage financing. Or get pre-approved today to purchase your home.
I service Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Dale City, Fairfax, Stafford, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Manassas Park, Quantico, Ft. Belvoir, and the Virginia surrounding areas.
We offer FHA, VA, VHDA,USDA, and Conventional financing.
(WestStar Mortgage Inc. is licensed by the Virginia State Corporation Commission and License No. MC-1875)