I am a realtor in Royal Oak and fairly new to Active Rain and consider myself to be on the outskirts of the community and I have seen the Meme's a few times and figured it would be a while before anyone asked me that. So I was a bit surprised when Jeff Belonger MEME'd Me. Thanks Jeff for taking the time to investigate who is new - a great way to bring a sense of belonging for those of us new to the community--although it was difficult to think of the five things. I had the passing thought that maybe it is better to live on the outskirts - but then I am a member of the introvert group. So here are five things you don't know about me. . .
1. I was part owner in an air freight trucking company. Basically what this means is that I drove an 18 ft. Mack straight truck. I was being trained to drive a tractor trailer when we dissolved the business. I drove the tractor trailer long enough to knock a mirror off the side of the truck and bang into something on someone's dock. However, I really got good at directions and it really helps finding my way around Oakland County & Wayne County. I have the east/west - north/south way of describing things and know never to stop behind a truck at a light etc. if I want to get a fast start. I also always blink my lights to let a truck know it is OK to pull into a lane when driving - particularly on the expressway. I did get a lot of looks (and a lot of help) being a woman truck driver with long blonde hair.
2. I have written a book of poems but have only had one poem published. My undergraduate degree was in English with an emphasis on creative writing and one day my goal is to write a novel. The rest of the dream is to have it made into a move and I will insist on cowiting the screen play and then it will be nominated for an academy award--I love movies and the academy awards and faithfully watch them every year. This way, I will get to attend.
3. I have been a strict vegetarian for over 30 years. I eat dairy off and on but no meat, fish, poultry or eggs.
4. I have a great interest in Eastern religion, philosophy and meditation and have traveled to India five times.
5. When I moved to Metro Detroit, I was a waitress at the Renaissance Center in the revolving restaurant previously known as the Summit for over 16 years before I took a managment postion in Human Resources. Then I went back to college and got a Master's degree in Adult Learning & Performance Technology. I am always surprised that being a Realtor is my favorite profession. However, I am not surprised that truck driving and waitressing was not my favorite!
Who I am tagging for MEME's: