Despite the oppressive heat, I spent part of the holiday picking blueberries. While I enjoy being outdoors, the combination of high heat and pest made this chore not for the weak of heart! But as I was filling up my second bowl, I realized that this was a real estate educational opportunity. Here are a few real estate gems from the berry patch.
1)Everybody loves blueberries, few are willing to pick them-- We have a standing offer at our church. Anybody who wants blueberries may come pick them anytime. Guess how many people turn out with buckets in 90 degree heat? In real estate everyone wants more/larger commissions. How many people are at your office today? Odds are there is no line at the restroom!
2) Not all berries are ready to harvest at the same time--Look at the above picture. The dark ones are ready to pick. The light ones will break your teeth. The old ones will give you diarrhea! We have to keep a close eye on ALL the berries, not just the ones we pick today. Sound familiar?
3) Berries are meant to be shared--- I love blueberries, but at some point do I need another 5 gallons in the freezer? I fill gallon zip lock bags and share with my clients/ people in the community. Of course I attach my business card to each bag! Distributing bags of berries forces me to interact with those in my sphere. Something I should be doing more of.
4) If you want blueberries you must deal with chiggers--For the city folks out there, chiggers are microscopic fleas that burrow in your skin. For males they often seek out a VERY sensitive part of the anatomy. The irritation is constant and endures far longer than it should. Think of chiggers as ASSET MANAGERS!!
5) In Farming you must get while the getting is good--Ever tried harvesting blueberries in October? Let's just say you would not need a very big bowl. When the crop comes in other parts of the schedule must be sacrificed. Same with real estate, despite your best efforts the next slow patch could be just around the corner. So when the phone is ringing WORK!!
6) Those who work hard are rewarded-- Look at those wonderful berries. My children will enjoy them all summer long. Clients will think of me when they eat biscuits. Same holds true with real estate. Who doesn't enjoy pulling up a chair at the closing table!