Avon Breast Cancer Walk is now over! It was quite an experience.
Here are my highlights.
1. Raised $1839 for breast cancer research and treatment for those in need
2.The walk on Sat started at Fort Funston and the opening ceremony was very touching. I learned that every three minutes a someone is diagnosed with breast cancer. Not great news.
3. There were 3800 walkers registered for this event and as of Sat they had raised 5 ½ million dollars.
4. I walked over the Golden Gate Bridge twice without vomiting (I am afraid of heights).
5. My favorite team was one called Save Second Base. I also liked Hookers for Hooters and Dudes for Boobs.
6. The markers were off. My Garman which is uses a GPS for measuring said I walked 27.75 miles. The markers for the walk said it was 26.2 miles. The problem is that at 26.2 miles I was still ok. At 27 miles I was kind of pissed off and the last .75 miles were a killer!! But I did it, and now I have accomplished my 30 year dream of completing a marathon, and did it for a great cause. Plus, instead of being in the back of the pack like I always am when I run, I was in the first 150 out of 3800 walkers to finish.
7. I'm not going back for the 13.1 mile second day walk. I don't want to blow my knees out!