Android phone users like myself have been anxiously awaiting the upgrade to the newest update to our phones- Android 2.2 (nicknamed 'FroYo'.) The pastry chefs at Google Inc. must be fantastic. The last update was nicknamed 'Cupcake'.
On a side note: Check this out if you've ever wondered about the perks of working at Google. Prepare to be jealous though!
Rumors have been flying around the net as to when this latest update would be coming to the Motorola Droid (it has already been released to Google's Nexus One phone of course!)The latest of which said we could look for the update on July 13th... yes... TODAY!!
What's to love about this update? Ah... let me count the ways...
- GO Speed Racer, Go! The newer compiler will allow a 2 - 5 time increase in the speed at which your phone works. Not just in the general operating system but the apps as well. The new browser is touted to be the fastest mobile browser available
- Support for Adobe Flash allowing web pages and apps previously unusable on the phone to function.
- Cloud to Phone computing. Going out on showings? Plan your route on your desktop in Google Maps and send it to your phone's navigation!
- Tethering - your phone can now be used as a portable wi-fi hotspot allowing you to share your wireless connection with other devices.
- Upping the ante on apps- In addition to a new web based Android market, you will now have the ability to store apps on your SD card and also to set your apps to auto update. My notifications screen tells me I have 41 app updates currently available. Rather than go to each of them separately, I'm hanging in there waiting for the day I can go in, do them all at once, and then set them to auto update. Win.
There are many other features of less interest to me like a better sync for the music player and an updated user interface (that I'm not sure I'll care for), but the good definitely outweighs the bad in my opinion.
We are about halfway though the day with no update yet but I will keep you posted.
Photo credit to MoHotta18.