Magnificent Lake Home on Madeline Island’s North Shore
Custom-built home designed to fit spectacular site on a rocky bluff overlooking Lake Superior. Approx. 3,675 sq. ft., wi 3 BR, 5 BA, 3 fireplaces, formal and informal dining rooms, living room, library/office, sun room, large kitchen wi Subzero and Thermador appliances, and more. Professionally decorated with understated elegance.
Panoramic views of the lake from nearly every room in the house. Just over ten acres of privacy, expansive deck, sandy beachfront, and massive crib dock to shelter your boat. Three-car garage, plus two-car detached garage for additional storage.
Tasteful Luxury and Understated Elegance
This home has been furnished and professionally decorated with tasteful luxury and understated elegance. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Sunken living room with panoramic view of the lake, fireplace with lannon stone, and large hearth.
- Master suite with fireplace, deck overlooking the lake, two walk-in closets, artist-designed stained glass window, and his-and-hers baths with linen closets, hampers, bidets, and one whirlpool bath.
- Guest suite with its own fireplace, lakeside deck, walk-in closet, and adjacent sitting room/extra bedroom.
- Large kitchen with Subzero refrigerator/freezer, Thermador range with four burners and griddle or grill, two self-cleaning wall ovens, icemaker, dishwasher, disposal, bar pantry with small refrigerator, and many more special touches.
- Formal dining room with wet bar, plus informal dining room nearby.
- Large sunroom with floor-to-ceiling windows along two of its four walls.
- Library with built-in shelving and spectacular view of the lake; would also make a great office space or extra bedroom.
- Expansive foyer with artist-designed stained glass window.
Panoramic Views and Ten Acres of Privacy
From your lakeside deck, and from nearly every room in this home, you’ll enjoy panoramic views of Lake Superior. In the distance, out past the channel that runs along the north side of Madeline Island, you’ll see Basswood and Hermit islands. On a clear day, you may even be able to see as far as Oak and Stockton. All are uninhabited islands within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
A 10-acre lot affords the peace, tranquility, and privacy you crave. North Shore drive is a lightly traveled road that’s well off the path usually traveled by tourists. Plus, your winding, paved driveway is long enough so that what little traffic exists should remain well out of earshot.
Massive Crib Dock to Shelter Your Boat
From the edge of your front yard, a stairway leads to a sandy beachfront and a large, F-shaped crib dock that has room for a fairly large boat. The dock is oriented to shelter your boat from the prevailing winds.
(If, like the current owner, you’ll need an even larger berth for one of your other boats, it’s only a ten-mile drive to the Madeline Island Yacht Club.)
The lighted stairway to your dock is carefully designed to blend in with the landscape; each landing has a bench where you can pause to enjoy the view.
For maintenance purposes, or to carry luggage and provisions to and from your boat, you can also drive to the dock and beach area. While the trail could perhaps be improved, it’s currently passable by a pickup or other four-wheel drive vehicle. The trail curves through the woods along the east side of your property, and isn’t visible from above.