HISTORY OF WATER TOWER: This 154 foot Corinthian brick column, known as the North St. Louis Water Tower, is located at North Grand Blvd. and 20th Street in North St. Louis. The water tower was built in 1871 at a cost over $45,000. From 1871 to 1912, the water tower was used to create pressure to pump water from the Mississippi River at Bissell's point to the Compton Hill Reservoir at South Grand Blvd. and Arsenal. It was taken out of service in 1912 when electric water pumps replaced the original stealm pumps at Bissell's point. In 1929, it was put back into service as an air beacon. After being threatened with demolition, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.