Maybe it's my age or maybe it's just the way I do business, but sometimes I just take off my Realtor hat and put on my Mom hat. Recently I was at the home of a young family that wanted to know if they could sell their home in Colorado Springs to move up. Yes, two kids later the home is a might bit tighter than when you purchased. But here's where we are today.......
I was a young parent (once), and I know what it's like to want a bigger home with more room. But I also know how to make a dollar scream and that's what is needed here. My clients had some accumulated debt that could potentially jeopardize their plans. Yes, I suggested they get professional financial counseling. But at the end of the day there are some simple things done now that could expedite their goals for a better outcome.
- Work overtime even if it means less time together now ( one of them had opportunities)
- Fewer meals out and more home cooking using some of my thrifty shopping skills
- Stop buying extras keeping focused on goal
- Consolidate trips even try to use one car for work saving gas
- Trade with friends for daycare and date nights
- Sell some stuff either in garage sale, EBay, Craig list etc to expedite payoff
- Learn to seek free activities in area for the family
I'll be keeping in touch and continuing to give them ideas and encouraging. They now have a coach in their corner. The real success is planting the seed to stimulate ideas on their part to expedite reaching their goals. I'm looking forward to when I can put back on my Realtor hat and be a part of the successful move up for this young family!
To learn more about how to move up in Colorado Springs contact Lorraine Sayer