South Charlotte Middle School
NC School of Excellence
South Charlotte Middle School is located in South Charlotte adjacent to Raintree Country Club and just off of Hwy. 51 (near Cedarwood Country Club). The top-ranked Charlotte NC middle school has a dedicated staff who are committed to life-long learning. The school consistently places among the top schools in NC and has been named a NC School of Excellence several times. Over 900 students, representing numerous different nationalities, attend Charlotte's premier South Charlotte Middle School. The highly qualified administrative staff leads quality teachers and specialists, along with support staff, creating a well-orchestrated educational team for all 900+ students.
An exceptional school, with students routinely being recognized for top honors in Odyssey of the Mind, Math Counts, National Academic League and Chess Club competitions. Successful students are prepared for Advanced Placement, International Bacculaureate or other rigorous programs offered at the next level (high school).
- South Charlotte Middle School participates in the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools Project Acceleration, placing all students performing at or above grade level on end-of-grade tests in reading and math in "Scholars" or "Accelerated" classes.
- Level II students are placed in accelerated classes with additional remediation provided through tutoring, mentoring, and the 9th period classes.
- AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) classes serve students in the 7th and 8th gradesto give additional support to the on-grade level average student who has potential to go to college.
- Students are moved in and out of classes where needed with C-M quarterly assessments.
- The 9th period is a very strong component of South Charlotte. Each 7th and 8th grade student is assigned a class varying from remediation, clubs, academic competitions, and acceleration classes.
- Teachers were very "hands-on" with many varied instructional activities in their classrooms. Rubric scoring, lab experiments, History Alive, Socratic seminars, many projects, and PowerPoint presentations are used as education models.
- Rigorous academic standards are a top priority at South Charlotte.
- The 9th period is a strong component of South Charlotte. Each 7th and 8th grade student is assigned a class varying from remediation, clubs, academic competitions and acceleration classes.
South Charlotte is fortunate to have many parent and community volunteers who offer incredible support to the school's staff and students. The support through parent involvement is reflected in continued school-wide academic success.
Here are a few of the neighborhoods assigned to South Charlotte Middle School -
Search for homes for sale in Charlotte NC neighborhoods assigned to South Charlotte Middle School
*Please note that school assignments are subject to change periodically; please confirm student/neighborhood assignments with Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.