I realize that the Internet is FULL of 'Social Media Gurus' , so I just want to preface this post with the following disclaimer:
I am not a Social Media Guru, Expert, Ninja or (put in your catchy adjective of choice here)________.
I am however, a Realtor, Wife, Mother, and Social Media addict who mostly goofs off on Facebook, Linkedin, and Active Rain, and passes it off to my husband as work!
I do it because it's FuN! I have experienced a fair amount of success via my social media outlets, but I really would be on Facebook wheather it generated business or not.
That said, I would like to share a success story with you. This is not to brag, but to share an idea that could possibly bring you business and possibly free advertising. (Okay, maybe I'm bragging a little...)
On Facebook, in addition to adding the people I really know, I have also strategically added
- People I went to High School with but never knew. (It was a graduating class of 600+)
- Local media professionals including TV, Radio, and newspaper.
- People who's names sounded familiar from college.
- People that I don't know, but are located in the Greater Boise Idaho area and don't seem creepy.
******Clarification..this is about my personal Facebook account...Fan Pages are managed differently******
I post status updates that are about my personal life, my family, and what I'm doing in my work.
I DO NOT...
- spam, harass, pester or otherwise try to SELL people Real Estate
- send spammy messages to my contacts
- post spammy links on their wall
- post 10 status updates in one hour
- play Farmville
- suggest my contacts 'like' EVERYTHING
- invite my friends to every event and/or multiple events in one day
- and I absolutely don't talk ONLY about my latest 'darling' listing
About 3 months ago I got a call from a Facebook Friend that is a cameraman for a local news station. He was working with a reporter that needed a Realtor to interview about the end of the Home-Buyer Tax Credit. He asked if I would mind being interviewed. I said....."Well, I guess not....." (haha) : ) Seriously, I said, "I would love to be interviewed; where and when?".
The interview aired that day, and the next afternoon on the local NBC affiliate. I of course PIMPED the hades out of the coverage by posting a link on my wall and probably making a couple status updates about it. The next afternoon an old High School classmate (whom I didn't ever know) commented that he just saw it, and I did a good job. He also gave me his number and asked me to call. I called immediately, and he is now under contract on a custom home in Boise.
I've had many other text messages, calls, and emails from friends, clients, and colleagues about the interview, so I know it was the most visible media I have ever participated in.....and the best part.....it was
F R E E!
So, of course I'm going to PIMP the video again, and I'd like to invite you to share YOUR social media success stories!