From my husbands blog but I thought it was worth sharing.
Keeping up with the Jones' can be quite a tough task for a family on a budget, especially when redecorating the house. What if there was a way you could revamp your outdated living room from dusty to dashing without it costing you a limb? Here are a few affordable ways to give your home a face-lift without breaking the bank:
1. Paint the Town Red-Painting your room a unique color scheme can be the inspiration for new and stimulating styles. Just painting one wall can create a focal point for your entire room. Try to stick with a color that already exists within the room you're refurbishing (seek insight from a rug, lamp shade, pillow, couch pattern, etc.)
2. Rearrange Me!-Feng shui, an ancient Chinese system of aesthetics, is often used to create balance within a room. Moving your furniture around to better accent your home's structural features can make the largest rooms feel engaging, and the tiniest rooms feel spacious. If you're unsure with where to begin, try moving your furniture away from the walls and positioning pieces at intriguing angles. For example, a sofa that is arranged diagonally across a room can make the living space look and feel wider.
3. Be a Rug Bug-Area rugs are wonderful space-fillers and are a great way to define a conversational space. Whether large or small, square or round, fuzzy or straw, area rugs can make any room feel warm and cozy.
4. Clutter-Be-Gone- When it comes to looking nice and aesthetically pleasing, it's important to eliminate as much clutter as possible. Often less is more. Find or make your own storage space for your movie collection, scattered papers, children's and pet's toys, and other items that detract from the personality of the room.
5. Bring in the Green-To create an essence of the outdoors inside, incorporate plants to add life to rooms that feel dark and dull. Greenery can add a breath of fresh air to any room that lacks depth. Don't panic if you don't have a green thumb. The quality of silk plants and trees have become so authentic that it is hard these days to distinguish between a real and a synthetic plant.
6. No More Bore Decor-Pictures are subtle messages that reveal your personality and are a good way to add variety to a room. If a piece of art isn't expressive enough, try using elaborate frames and mats to create a bold statement. Mirrors can also be framed to replace wall art. When you do hang a mirror, place it on a wall that reflects a charming view of the outside, or an interesting architectural feature within your home.
7. Plushy Pillows -Adding fun, decorative pillows is a very simple, yet effective way to add texture and color to any room.
8. Revamp your Lamps-One out-dated lamp could be the end-all to your room's fresh new look. Throw out your old lamp shades and bring in new ones with a more appealing style for your room's design. If new isn't the look you're going for, try yard sales, garage sales or thrift stores to create that vintage touch you've been seeking.
9. Bring "You" to the Room-Show off your personality by grouping your collectables together. In sets of threes and fives, display your figurines on a shelf or end table. Hanging a set of your grandmother's China or family photos on the wall will give a reflection of life.
10. An Afghan Can-Similar to decorative pillows, an old family afghan or throw can add texture to your furniture.
And there you have it- Ten simple and affordable ways to turn your drab living space into your dream home!