Connie Harvey (my friend in Nashville) recently posted these tips for home and personal safety on her blog. Thanks Connie!
7 things you can do to protect your home and yourself!
1. When you're out of town have your newspapers and mail canceled or held.
If you have a neighbor that you trust, ask them to keep an eye out for fliers left on the front door, or weekly papers thrown on the driveway. If it snows while you're away, ask them to walk from the front door to the mailbox and back. Need to show fresh tracks in the snow.
2. Burglars check all the drawers. Don't think they don't look in the sock drawer, master bath or bedside table. If you want to hide something hide it in the kids' room. They seldom go in there.
3. Safes aren't safe unless they're bolted to the floor. They'll just pick it up and carry it with them.
4. Leaving a loud TV or Radio on is a great deterrent. If you don't want to put your equipment on a timer, consider getting a devise called Fake TV. It recreates the same type of flickering light that a television makes when you're watching it.
5. Be aware of those around you. Profession burglars will walk through a neighborhood with a clipboard, dressed like the lawn person carrying a rake or in a utility uniform just checking out the homes. They don't like loud dogs or nosy neighbors.
6. Don't announce on any of the social media, like Facebook, that you're going out of town. They can find your address.
7. Wasp Spray. Self defense experts agree that wasp and/or hornet spray is much more effective than pepper spray. It shoots between 20 and 30 feet away and blinds the person until they can get to a hospital for an antidote.
Search for Homes in Nashville TN
Search for Homes in Brentwood TN
Connie Harveyis a local agent with Prudential Woodmont Realty, serving home buyers and sellers in Nashville, TN, Brentwood TN, and Franklin TN. Let her help you realize your Real Estate goals.
Connie can be reached at 615-661-7800 x 1300 or at HarveyC@realtracs.
Follow her Blog: Nashville Tennessee Living