Here are some good questions to ask potential sellers before an appointment is set:
Seller Qualifying Questions
• Where are you moving to?
• How soon do you need to be there?
• When are you thinking of putting your home on the market?
• Has it been for sale in the last year?
• How long have you lived in your home?
• Have you done any updating to the house since you bought it?
• What will you be asking for your house?
• What do you owe on the property?
• Will you be interviewing any other agents?
• Who might that be?
• What three things are you looking for in an agent?
• Have you considered going for sale by owner?
• How did you get my name?
• Set the appointment.
Additional Seller Appointment Questions
• You said you are selling because . . . and you need to move by . . . Is that right?
• Would you like to see the odds?
• Based on supply and demand, where do you think we need to position your house to get you there on time?
• Do you think that will get you there on time?
• If it doesn't, what is your plan B?
• If we do get to (date) and your house isn't sold, what will you do?
• Do you want to price your house with this carpet or with new carpet?
• Is it OK if I tell you the truth even if it may not be what you want to hear?
• If we find a buyer for your house in the next 72 hours, will you be OK with that?
• If the first person who looks at your house submits a contract, will you be OK with that?