Saint Cloud Regional Airport in St. Cloud MN
The St. Cloud Regional Airport is owned and operated by the City of St. Cloud and is part of the Public Services Section of the city's government. The airfield at the St. Cloud Regional Airport has 2 runways. The primary runway, (13-31) heading northwest-southeast is 7,000 feet long and 150 feet wide constructed with 12 inch thick steel reinforced concrete. The secondary crosswind runway (5-23) heading southwest-northeast is 3,000 feet long and 75 feet wide of bituminous pavement.
Originally constructed, in 1969 the runways and taxiways were built using a federally approved porous friction course, they were rehabilitated in 1985. In 2001 the primary runway was completed by extending it to the current length.
The Mission of the St. Cloud Regional Airport is to "Provide and promote safe and secure facilities, grounds and services for the purpose of public air transportation to and from the City of St. Cloud and the Central Minnesota Region."
The size of the St. Cloud Airport grounds is approx 1400 acres and containes two intersecting runways, associated taxiways, airline terminal and support area, Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting Facility (ARFF), 2 Fixed Based Operators (FBO) St. Cloud Aviation and Wright Aero, an operations/general aviation area, and an Air Traffic Control Tower. Also, recently added is the Air National Guard Blackhawk helicopter maintenance facility, on the southend of the airport property.
St. Cloud State University's Aero Club maintains a hanger at the airport, and the club accounts for 45% of takeoffs and landings, not to mention employing several Certified Flight Instructors (CFIs).
The Airport and its various tenants employ approximately 75 people and it is vital to ongoing development and economic growth in St. Cloud and the surrounding Central Minnesota communities. The St. Cloud Regional Airport generates roughly $18 million in annual economic impact for the surrounding central Minnesota area, according to an economic impact study done in March 2000 by the American Association of Airport Executives Regulatory Affairs Department.