3 Reasons Gainesville Florida rocks!
Ever since we moved to Gainesville Florida two years ago, I began my quest to become its Number 1 fan! There is SO MUCH to love about living in Gainesville! Here are the top 3 reasons Gainesville is a GREAT place to live!
1) The WEATHER ... well, except for the summer, which is akin to leaving your oven door open and parking yourself in front of it for the day. But if the worst thing Gainesville weather has to offer is summer heat paired with wilting humidity, no problem! I'd much rather deal with that than with snow, and ice, and slush, and scraping windshields, and shoveling, and snow. Did I mention snow? We don't get that stuff around here.
What about hurricanes, you say? Well, for the most part, Gainesville doesn't catch the brunt of them (or so I hear). We're far enough inland that you don't have to worry about emergency trips to Home Depot for wood to nail over your windows and all that sort of stuff. High winds and lashing rain, yes....definitely. And Gainesville is certainly not immune to falling tree limbs, which is why it is important that you get your trees trimmed regularly so that you don't have an up close and personal encounter with tree limbs in your living room. Sure that possibility is no fun at all....but did I mention it doesn't snow here?
2) The WILDLIFE! I LOVE critters! Frogs, toads, anole lizards, snakes of all stripes and sizes, armadillos, gopher tortoises, owls....all have been regular visitors to our backyard....and in one house we lived in, we had tree frogs (the cute little ones with the tiny circle nubbin toes) living in our mailbox! How COOL is that?! And that's not even counting the gators and leatherback tortoises and sandhill cranes and bison and wild boar and all other types of various and sundry creatures that we get to see just driving 15 minutes over to Paynes Prairie in Gainesville! I tell you, it's like living a Wild Kingdom episode every day. Way cool.
3) The WATER! North Central Florida is blessed with numerous cold water springs which feed our rivers and streams. These cool, clear, see-your-feet-in-the-bottom aquamarine waters look like something right out of a movie. Kayaking and tubing adventures in these crystalline waters are available less than an hour from Gainesville. Manatees make many of these springs their home in winter months. MORE wildlife plus CRYSTAL BLUE waters plus a KAYAK make for one lovely adventure! Again...how cool is that??
And you know what's best of all? If you can't find what you're looking for in Gainesville, you can most likely still get there from here!
- 45 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico (Cedar Key);
- 90 minutes from America's oldest city (St. Augustine); and
- 2 hours from Universal Studios and Walt Disney World and Epcot.
I'm not going to do a mileage map for you re distance of every city and attraction relative to Gainesville FL but you get the idea. Living in Gainesville FL puts SO much to do right in your own backyard, and I am so HAPPY that we live here!
Here is a short movie I put together about Gainesville. Enjoy! :)