It's not uncommon to come across a situation where the buyer is on fence and they have to select one of the two - 'YES' or 'NO' and that becomes a mammoth task for them.
I came across a situation where my buyers could not decide on 'YES' or 'NO' for the home they had made an offer to, was accepted but home inspection revealed many issues that bothered them. I did not want to be 'pushy' sales person and still wanted to guide them in the right direction.
Here are the steps I suggested them:
1. Take a blank piece of paper and draw a vertical line in center.
2. On left side – write a column header: YES, we will buy the home and right side – NO, this home is not for me.
3. On each side, start writing the reasons why ‘YES’ and why ‘NO’. Write as many reasons as you know of.
4. Assign the priority (or points) to each reason on a scale of 1 to 5. If living in specific town is very important for you, assign 5 points to that reason. If roof is a big concern is on ‘NO’ side, assign 5 points to that reason.
5. Now, it’s simple – add these points. Whichever side has more points, that is a winner.
6. In case of tie, add 1 point for the opinion (YES or NO) of each decision making member.
7. If tie continues, do what your heart says.
8. Even now, if you have doubts (or no decision), take two small chits, right down ‘YES’ on one, ‘NO’ on another and request your loved one to pick up one of them. This will be the answer from God - 'YES' or 'NO'!
I'd appreciate if you can share your views and ways that may help buyer decide on 'YES' or 'NO'.