Sacramento has been fortunate to have among its many landmarks, attractions and events, The Crocker Art Museum, which has been closed for a major expansion. It will reopen to the public on 10.10.10 - Sunday, October 10th 2010 From 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM.
The 125,000 square foot expansion triples the size of the museum, and improves visitor amenities and quadruples exhibition space to allow more of the permanent collection to be on view.
Crocker Art Museum is the first public art museum founded in the West. It was established by gift on May 6th 1885, when Margaret E. Crocker (1822-1901) presented the Crocker art gallery building, the grounds and the E. B. Crocker Collection "in trust for the public."
Margaret was the widow of Judge Edwin B. Crocker (1818-1875), who served on the California State Supreme Court. The Crockers supported many civic and social causes. Judge Crocker was the brother of Charles Crocker, one of the "Big Four" railroad barons, and he acted as legal council for the Central Pacific Railroad. The Crocker gift was presented to the City of Sacramento and the California Museum Association.
The gift was a fulfillment of the Crockers' shared vision of creating a public art museum.
The Museum is continuing to build upon the Crocker family legacy. It collects and exhibits works representing all media, time periods and cultures.
Crocker Art Museum is located at 216 "O" Street, Sacramento, California 95814. It is in close proximity to Old Sacramento, The California State Capital, The California State Railroad Museum, Sutter's Fort, and many wonderful Sacramento landmarks, and attractions.