Sharon Lee posted this very interesting and introspective blog recently. It seemed to resonate with me at this moment and I thought that perhaps it might affect you in a similar way...
The 5 Rules Of Happiness:
If you like something, enjoy it.
If you don't like something, avoid it.
- If you don't like something and can't avoid it, change it.
- If you can't or choose not to avoid or change something you don't like, then accept it.
- You accept something by changing your perception of it.
Sounds pretty simple right? I agree too, but you'd be surprised at how fast most people forget these 5 simple rules when faced with a difficult situation.
So next time you find yourself in an unhappy or stressful situation, run through these 5 rules in your head and see if you're breaking any of them.
Trust me, they'd really help you see what you can do to remedy the situation and be happy.
1. One of the best things I enjoy doing is floating on my back in the water. Try it sometime. It is actually VERY peaceful and serene.
2. One of the things I don't like is confrontation and avoid it as much as possible.
3. I have done that with many things in life from jobs to places to live to difficult relationships.
4. This is the hardest one to do. Acceptance is possible but never easy. I always think of the serenity prayer.
5. Actually I am living this one right now because I lived with my Mom for 8 months and HATED it. Not saying it is a barrel of laughs now but my perception is what makes this time different.
So let me know:
1) What is something YOU enjoy doing?
2) Do YOU avoid what you do not like?
3) How do YOU change something you don't like and can't avoid?
4) What is one way you have chosen to accept something you couldn't change and didn't like?
5) Have you ever done that and was it a success?