When the market was on fire, a lot of agents came into the business. A lot of agents could cut corners in order to keep business. As the market changes, I have noticed that the most committed and best agents are still around, and the others have gone on to other jobs. In California, there are still a lot of agents taking the licensing exam, so there are still many people who want to work in this field. I think we can always use excellent agents to join the ranks! I am thrilled when I am working through a transaction with someone who knows what they're doing or wants to learn how to do it correctly and is honest if they need to figure it out.
A few months ago, I sold a house for a client whom I knew from a social internet chat group. I also helped her buy a home. After the transactions we became friends and I realized that she had the qualities that would make an excellent agent. I encouraged her to take the licensing exam. She did and just became licensed. She will probably join my team and I can't be more excited to have her work with me.
What are the qualities of a great agent? Some of my ideas of what makes a great agent include:
- Ethical and honest, taking their duties to clients and other agents seriously
- Patient, in order to take time to actually read the agreements and work through issues that come up
- Desire to continue to learn and keep up-to-date with the market, legal issues and marketing
- Friendly and a great sense of humor
- Commitment and desire to providing clients the best service possible
What are some of the qualities you think make a great agent?