Ormond Plantation was completed shortly before 1790 and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. d'Trepagnier and their children. d'Trepagnier began growing indigo, and then sugar cane, and the Plantation began to prosper. At the time Louisiana was under Spanish Rule. It has been owned by a lot of different families over its 220 year history.
The house is built in the "Louisiana Colonial" style for plantations, which is modeled after the great sugar plantations of the West Indies. It is on the Mississippi River upriver from New Orleans in Destrehan in St. Charles Parish. The levee did not exist in those days so the Mississippi River was in the front yard. The plantations were built on high ground and when the river did overflow the water went into the swamp which is behind the plantation.