Babylon NY Real Estate Market Activity Report For Week Ending 10/10/10
This report includes new homes for sale, under contract and sold homes for Babylon NY. There were no short sales or Reo properties for last week. It's rare to find a short sale or Reo property in Babylon NY.
Babylon today is part suburban bedroom community, part small-town, and has a substantial shopping and business district. It is situated between West Babylon and West Islip at west and east, North Babylon on the northern boundary, and South Oyster Bay near its merger into Great South Bay on the south.
Today the village is best known for its restaurants and shops, and hosts shopping events during the fall as well as a popular crafts fair.
Babylon Village Schools
Most of the residents of the Village of Babylon are served by the Babylon Union Free School District (UFSD). Since the school district lines are not coextensive with the village boundaries, as is common on Long Island, some residents of Babylon Village are in the West Babylon UFSD and, conversely, some residents of North Babylon go to the village schools, as well as residents of Oak Island, Oak Beach, Gilgo, West Gilgo, and Captree Island across the Great South Bay.
According to the 2000 United States Census there were 1,371 children between the ages of five and 18 living in Babylon Village. Most of these are served by the three Babylon School District schools:
- Babylon Elementary School, serves all students in grades K-2.
- Babylon Grade School, serves all students in grades 3-6. Both of these schools are on a single large campus running east from Ralph Avenue between on Park Avenue and Beverly Road.
- Babylon Junior-Senior High School, serves grades 7-12 in the original, but modernized and expanded High School building on North Carll Avenue between South Railroad Avenue and Grove Place, opposite the Babylon Railroad Station.
- Babylon Village Schools
Babylon Village children who live in the West Babylon School District (all of Babylon Village west of Route 109 and all of Little East Neck south of Cambridge Drive) are served by these schools:
- John F. Kennedy Elementary School or South Bay School, both on the same campus west of Great East Neck Road, grades K-5.
- West Babylon Junior High School, serves students in grades 6-8, located at Old Farmingdale Road and Little East Neck Road.
- West Babylon High School, serves students in grades 9-12, at the junction of Route 109 (Babylon-Farmingdale Road) and Great East Neck Road.
The poet Walt Whitman, forced to find work after the Great Fire of New York in 1835 devastated the printing and publishing industry, took work at a number of Long Island "country schools." Among them was West Babylon's school, located midway between Little East Neck and Great East Neck Roads, just west of the current village boundary, and now occupied by a supermarket, where he taught in the winter of 1836-37.
Recent Babylon NY Real Estate Market Reports:
If you are looking to sell your Babylon NY home and want a Free Competitive Market Analysis, please call me today (631) 703-0201 to schedule a no-obligation appointment.