How many homes should a buyer look at in one day? I get asked that question every now and then, how do you decide?
How many homes should a buyer look at before they make a decision, that's an even bigger question!
I try to schedule between 3 to 5 homes in one day, at the most. It's a bit of a scheduling dilemma to show more than that, unless the showings involve vacant homes. I even try to alternate vacant homes with occupied so that the schedule can be a bit more certain for a seller.
Factors that affect the seller:
- if the seller has kids, lots of coordination is needed
- avoid meal times, it's the pits to have showings right at dinner time
- pets need to be removed or at least contained
- seller's do best with a 1 or 2 hour window, I offer to call or text them when I've left
Factors that affect the buyer:
- it's hard to remember what kitchen went with what master bath if you look at too many homes in one day
- you never know how much time you may want to spend exploring, some homes take less than 2 minutes, because they are not what you wanted; some take an hour because you have lots of interest
- a buyers schedule may be hard to schedule around due to employment or child care
The Internet and good pictures have really helped buyers rule properties in or out. Doing a drive by and checking out the neighborhood is also a good first step.
Sometimes, even the best laid plans go hay-wire, but I love the adventure of making a day of showing homes!