Thinking of selling your home in the near future? Maybe even already have it on the market? Here are a few quick, easy tips for preparing your home to be sold that will cost you (almost) nothing but time if you choose to do them yourself. But if you would rather, you can always hire professionals to do them for you and save yourself the time and effort.
1. De-clutter your house! Removing all clutter from your house makes it look larger and also allows potential buyers to see the potential your home has for them. Rather than see the knick-knacks and family photos you have on the fireplace mantle, they can envision their own items there. Box up those items and move them to the garage until it’s time for you to move.
2. Fresh paint makes walls look like new! You don’t need to paint every room in your house, just the rooms that need a fresh coat. Be sure to choose a color that brightens the room and is fairly neutral. Bold, dark tones tend to turn-off most buyers.
3. Make it sparkle! Everything should be cleaned to look like new. Polish anything metal (light fixtures), scrub baseboards, deep clean carpets, shine those wood and tile floors. Buyers will know your house isn’t new but it sure will make a difference to them if it looks like it is.
4. Arrange furniture for style (and space), not comfort! You may want your couch to be directly in front of your TV but if it makes the room look smaller, move it somewhere that opens up the room.
5. Landscaping is important too! Of course any potential buyers for your home will be looking at the outside of your home as well. You do not need to hire professional landscapers just ensure the hedges are trimmed, the grass is cut, the siding is power-washed and everything has a nice clean look to it.