We have a family in urgent need!
This is a family of four, mom, dad, daughter (7) and son (4). The son has a serious neurological illness that has not been diagnosed although he has spent most of the last 8 months in the hospital (St. Joe's) here in Phoenix. He suffers from seizures, among other things. Dad is not working, having been laid off. Mom is working at least 40 hours/week at McDonald's and is the only source of income.
They have no transportation as their vehicle was repossessed some time ago and they must rely on a neighbor who gets mom to and from work. Does anyone know of a used vehicle that could be donated to this family? Dad spends his time providing childcare (since they cannot afford to hire others) and is with his son when he is hospitalized. They have had no gas service for over 6 months, hence no hot water. The electric bill, phone bill, water bills have all been behind and threatened disconnection. ACTS stepped in to cover the water bill and cell phone bill. Salvation Army is seeing to the electric bill. They have had very little food over the past few months.
The Parkside home they are in is a rental which the California owner just put up for sale, so they could possibly be without a home in the near future.
The medical bills to date are over $3 million!!!!! Fortunately, they are covered by the state Medicaid program, but their need far exceeds those benefits.
The University of California Hospital in San Francisco has volunteered to see the son and to help with diagnosis. They are donating their services, the hotel, plus $125 in gas cards for the trip. (The dad’s size prevents flying. See below.)
So, how can you help? Several ways.
1. We believe we have found a way by car to get dad and son to San Francisco but they need help with gas money.
2. They are getting raw food from the Food Bank, but we need some of you to offer prepared meals. Here is a link to foodtidings to sign up to provide meals on specific days:
3. Dad desperately wants to find work but needs clothing to do so. This is no easy challenge as he is 7' 1" and very large. His current wardrobe prevents him from even looking for work - shorts and t-shirts is about it. He cannot find sizes to fit except at Big 'N Tall Shops (he has tried Goodwill, etc. no luck). I am thinking gift certificates to the store or perhaps someone knows someone close to the Arizona Cardinals or Suns who may be able to ask team members with appropriate sizing and willing to donate some clothes. In dress shirts, he is a 19" neck with 38-39 sleeve length; pants can be anywhere between 50 to 54" waist, 34 to 36" in length. Shoe size ranges start at size 16! So you see the challenge. Dad has worked with computers (Go Daddy), and as a customer service rep, and various other jobs. He is willing to do just about anything to help his family.
4. If you feel moved to donate money for this family, you can send a check made out to ACTS and mark "Family L" on the memo line. The check should be mailed as follows:
Donations should be designated for ACTS: Family L, with check made out to We Care in Anthem. Mail to: We Care, 3655 W Anthem Way, #109-280, Anthem, AZ 85086. Donors will receive a receipt.
If you prefer you can take a check to Mid First Bank on Anthem Way and have it deposited into the We Care In Anthem account, just be sure to put “ACTS: Family L” on the memo line.
5. Please forward this message to any of your friends who might be in a position to help this family.
Thank you for taking the time to consider helping this family.