Homes with Mother In Law Suites Becoming More Popular
Top Tips and Questions to Ask about Mother In Law Suite Homes
- Financial drivers are the #1 reason families consider homes with mother in law suites, with 39% of mother in law suite home buyers purchasing for that reason.
- Health care issues are another big reason - 29% of in law suite home buyers choose to have an attached mother in law suite in order to care for a family member.
- Only 6% of home buyers said that a strong family bond was the main reason they were purchasing a mother in law suite home.
Here are some of the top things to consider when purchasing a mother in law suite home:
- More family members in the home may make childcare scheduling and juggling easier.
- Quality time together is easier to find.
- Private areas for each part of the family can be very beneficial.
- Chores, financial, and childcare expectations should be determined before moving in, in writing if necessary.
What's the Right Kind of Mother-in-law Suite Floor Plan for You?
There are many different types of mother in law suite floor plans.
Choosing the right one for your family can make a big difference in the functionality of the space.
The most common type of mother in law suite can be as simple as a first floor bedroom with attached bath and sitting room, but some mother-in-law suite floor plans only include a first floor bedroom with attached bath.
- Is a sitting room important for separate living space?
- Would a kitchenette be helpful? Is it worth the extra expense?
- Should the mother in law suite have a private entrance?
- Do you need a larger garage?
- What considerations will help that mother in law suite home have greater resale value?
At Stanton Homes, we design/build mother in law suite floor plans on a regular basis. Let us know if you have any questions about functionality and practical solutions, and we'll point you in the right direction!
Looking for a mother in law suite home in the Raleigh or Fort Bragg area?
Just answer a few quick questions, and we'll send you a selection of floor plans that meet your exact needs and budget.
More Custom Design/Build Mother in Law Suite Floor Plan Options