Dealing with mold

Services for Real Estate Pros with Puroclean Property Damage Restoration

Hire a professional to clean mold damage


Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces with nonpolluting cleaners and antimicrobial solutions will remove mold and protect against mold growth.


Although proper ventilation is important, minimize air circulation and don't use your ventilation systems if mold is detected in the filters or ducts. Using these systems will disperse the spores and create new mold growth. In addition, mold spores might be inhaled and cause respiratory irritations.

Protective Gear

Mold is a contaminant, presenting health hazards. Protect yourself during clean up using protective gear such as:

  • Disposable plastic gloves.
  • Respirator with a particulate filter, N-95 respirator, or half-face respirator with a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.
  • Goggles or protective eyewear.
  • Disposable full body clothing, coveralls, or a lab coat.
  • Head gear.
  • Rubber boots or foot coverings.

Be sure to use disinfectants to wash hands before eating.

Mold Safety Tips

  • Clean and disinfect moldy areas with nonpolluting cleaners and antimicrobial solutions.
  • Do not use ventilation systems if you suspect they are moldy.
  • Use protective gear.

Comments (2)

Konnie Mac McCarthy
MacNificent Properties, LLC - Cobb Island, MD
Broker/Owner - VA & MD "Time To Get A Move On!"
I have a question for you, I just did a home inspection (yesterday) the basement clearly had water issues, for some reason they raised the basement a subflooring...there is some mold gowing in the back part of the basement where the dishwashwer had leaked down.  The basement has a "walkup" so at the bottom of the outside stair well, there is a drain, it apparently got clogged at one point, and water came into the here is my question, we need to determine if mold is under that subflooring???(they raised it up with plywood)??
Sep 04, 2007 10:53 PM
Todd Magill
From your description I would say you would definitely want to inspect under the plywood.  I guess my concern would be why they raised the floor in the first place.  Is it because of constant water intrusion and they decided to raise the floor to deal with it?  The environment is perfect for mold...  water, wood, and dark space.
Sep 05, 2007 02:49 PM