Is there mold in your Carlsbad home? Did the home inspection for the property you are trying to buy reveal possible mold?
It's likely the answer is YES in many Carlsbad homes. It's important to know that mold is very common both indoors and out, and molds provide a useful service by destroying dead or decaying plant matter. However they can also cause problems indoors - destruction of wall, ceiling, roof or floor surfaces, and may pose a health hazard for many people.
In recent years the presence of mold has become a much larger issue in real estate transactions and many concerns have been raised in the media about mold. While it is true that mold can be found just about anywhere there is moisture, which it needs to survive, it is not true that mold presents a significant problem in most houses. It also appears to be a much more significant issue in other parts of the country
If mold is suspected, due to peeling wall paper, staining, musty odor, a rotting roof, poor drainage, or cracked exterior walls, a MOLD INSPECTION is a smart thing to do.
- As a Buyer your home inspector may indicate the possible presence of mold, so a mold inspection is then recommended to determine if it is present at levels that are deemed significant by government standards, the potential sources of the mold, and how it can be remediated
- As a Seller a pre-listing mold inspection is a prudent thing to do in order to take care of issues that might make it difficult for you to sell your home
- As an Agent it is important to appropriately advise clients about disclosure about mold where needed, and to encourage mold inspections as needed in order to protect their interests.
In our area VM3 Environmental, Inc. is a mold inspection service that covers the Southern California region. It is important to note that they do not provide remediation services, in order to avoid any conflict of interest.
- A VISUAL INSPECTION is done to determine if suspect conditions are present, including using a moisture meter; photos are used to document
- If recommended, an AIR SAMPLE is taken and tested through independent lab analysis to assess the level and type of mold present
- A full WRITTEN REPORT is provided within 48 hours
- If needed, a list of qualified remediation services will be provided so the client can obtain estimates of the work needed and subsequent costs.
Costs for these inspections are relatively inexpensive when one considers the potential impact. A visual inspection with moisture meter and photos is $195 for up to 1000 SF (with $100 for each additional 1000 SF). Each sample that is taken for lab analysis is $99 to $125 (this varies regionally).
While one should not over-react with regard to possible mold contamination, it makes sense to determine what you are dealing with if it is a concern, just as with any other defect that might exist. Protecting your investment and avoiding potential problems n the future in your best course of action, whether you are buying or selling.