Yes, I live about 12 minutes from the beach. Yes, summer brings months of consecutive bad hair days. Yes, you can usually play golf here on Christmas. Yes, our homes do have heat. BUT, though our winters are short and it doesn't stay cold for very long we have to be ready for winter.
One day a few years ago as I left for the office I noticed water rolling down my street. When I came home many hours later I saw the same stream of water and followed it to it's origin, a house 5 doors up from mine. I knew they were out of town so I called the neighbor I thought was watching it. No, she had been replaced by a friend that lived two blocks away but yes she would call that women. As it turns out a pipe had burst from a combination of below 32 degree temperatures a few days in a row and poor insulation because...yes we live in a warm area and no our homes don't have the best insulation.
Moral of this story is though you live in metro Charleston, South Carolina:
- Make sure you leave your heat on in the winter.
- Open cabinet doors under bathroom sinks if the temperature is going to drop significantly.
- Open shower curtains too.
- Have a neighbor check your home everyday.
- Don't take the warm weather for granted.
Love it here. Ya'll come ya hear.