A friend of mine came in from Las Vegas to visit Oahu. This is his first time here on the island. To my surprise he doesn't want anything to do with the downtown scene and only wants to sightsee our lush Hawaiian climate and spend the days either driving or at the beach.
Being a local boy born and raised here all my life, it really opened my eyes as to the things I take for granted. This made me think about how I might be portraying Hawaii to my mainland clients. I really think it's time for me to start getting enthusiastic again about what we have here and stop taking it for granted.
The following is just a few facts about Hawaii that may be interesting.
- We not only have our own Hawaiian Language that only consist of 12 letters, but also have our own type of slang called Pigeon. Sounds kind of like this. Ho brah you gotta check out da kine house lydat. It stay fo real kind killas ah brah. Translated, you should check out the house it's really nice.
- We are the only state that grows coffee. Yummy coffee at that! Kona Coffee anyone?
- Hawaii has no Daylight Savings time and has it's own timezone.
- Hawaii became the 50th state in 1959.
- Our temperature here averages in the 70's at night to the upper 80's during the day pretty much all year long.
Thanks Kobe for opening my eyes! From now on no more taking paradise for granted.