Special offer

Carbon Monoxide

Home Inspector with Pillar To Post Home Inspection

Carbon Monoxide has been in the news in the Milwaukee area twice this week killing two people and making others sick. Last year a West Allis bowling alley had a issue with Carbon Monoxide sending many people to the hospital. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home or work. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Comm...ission (CPSC) recommends that every home should have a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm. I see most home without sensors. Some of the home that actually do have sensors make the mistake of placing the the sensor in the basement where the fuel burning appliance is located. This could be a deadly mistake because if the alarm is not heard especially while sleeping you and your family will never wake up. If you have only one sensor it should be in the bedroom area. I suggest Carbon Monoxide sensors in bedroom areas and rooms with fuel burning appliances.

Mike McCann Nebraska Land Broker
Mike McCann - Broker, Mach1 Realty Farm & Commercial Land Broker-Auctioneer Serving Nebraska - Kearney, NE
Farm & Commercial Property For Sale 308-627-3700

This is serious, serious business...I recommend that everyone get detectors.  Great post and a great reminder!!

Nov 05, 2010 11:03 AM
Robert Bob Gilbert
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Anderson Properties - Katy, TX
Your Katy TX ( West of Houston) Real Estate Expert

Yes I agree this is very serious business and atopic noone should take lightly. We have CO monitors at my home and I suggest to buyers to invest in one or more but I think most folks blow it off...

Nov 05, 2010 11:05 AM
Tom Braatz Waukesha County Real Estate 262-377-1459
Coldwell Banker - Oconomowoc, WI
Waukesha County Realtor Real Estate agent. SOLD!

John Rocco

Very sad deaths. I think starting with  a good Carbon Monoxide tester is key

Feb 11, 2015 08:13 AM