In a better market, Sellers were able to sell their home even if they did not take care of every little detail before they listed their home for sale. However, Sellers are not that lucky in the current market conditions. In a Buyer's Market, it is absolutely imperative that your home be in pristine condition when you list it for sale. Buyers will look for any little thing they can find wrong to use as a negotiating tool. Additionally, your home must stand out from the rest of the competition in order to get a second look. With so many homes to choose from , Buyers are looking for the "wow" factor. Here are a few things you can do to help your home stand out from the crowd:
· Clean, Clean, Clean! Steam-clean carpet, wax floors and wash windows. Clean blinds, light fixtures and ceiling fans, baseboards, and anyplace else that appears to have collected dust or smudges.
· Remove Clutter. This is incredibly important. A home that is free of clutter appears much more spacious to prospective buyers. Don't forget areas such as the garage, attic, kitchen counters, closets, storage buildings, cupboards, etc.
· Use Natural Light. Keep curtains and blinds open. Warm sunlight can drastically affect the warmth and cheeriness of a room.
· Spruce Up Landscaping. The first view prospective buyers have of your home is from the outside. Make sure that the lawn is cut and edged. Trim back all overgrown shrubbery. Lay fresh mulch or straw in all flowerbeds. Remove weeds and debris. If your mailbox has seen its better days, give it a fresh coat of paint and some shiny new street numbers. Add a splash of color to your beds by planting some flowers that bloom like daisies, tulips, or pansies.
· Paint. Some areas may need only touch ups, especially inside. However, if you have any bold or outdated colors, it is best to paint over them in a neutral color. If the exterior of your home has any peeling paint or extreme fading, add a fresh coat of paint. This will drastically improve the curb appeal of your home. After all, you only have one shot at making a first impression!
· Rent a Pressure Washer. We know this is not the most fun thing to do on a Saturday afternoon. However, this is relatively inexpensive, and it can take years of dirt buildup and wear and tear off of driveways and walkways. The difference it makes is well worth the effort!
· Make Needed Repairs. Oil squeaky hinges, tighten loose doorknobs, repair leaky faucets. Straighten gutters, mailboxes, fence posts, etc. It is important that your home appears well maintained and in good condition to prospective buyers.
· Aromatize! Put out potpourri, scented candles, scented soap, or anything else that will give your home a welcoming and soothing fragrance.
· Accent Your Home's Best Feature. Whether it be a unique fireplace, a peaceful balcony, or an enormous closet, use whatever method available to draw attention to that feature so that it is easily visible to prospective buyers.
· Ask your Realtor®!
For more information or for assistance with your real estate needs in the Northeast Metro Atlanta area, visit my web site at www.pshrealestate.com
Has the real estate market stabilized in your area? Get a FREE Market Report for your city or county in the Northeast Metro Atlanta or Athens area!