A couple of times per year, you should conduct regular maintenance to keep your home in good condition. This will help maintain the value, appearance, and safety for your family. Here are the top 5 things to check around your house this week:
1. Safety equipment. Replace batteries in all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. If you have a fire extinguisher, check to mak sure its in good working condition, the pin has not been removed, and the needle is still in the green area.
2. Windows and Doors. Check for any drafts coming in through your windows and doors. Replace weather stripping as necessary. Those small cracks can let the cold air in causing your electricity or gas bills to go up in the winter.
3. Paint and Caulking. Walk around the exterior of your home looking for any cracking or peeling paint. Repair these areas to prevent water damage from causing more issues. This is also a great time to add or repair caulk that may be dried out or cracking. Carefully cut away any old caulk and replace as necessary.
4. Roof and Gutters. Do a visual inspection of your roof shingles to make sure none are lifting or missing. Clean your gutters and drains of any debris that may be clogging the runoff of water. Make sure the drains allow water to run away from the foundation.
5. Filters and Water Faucets. Replace the water filter on your refrigerator about once every 6 months to keep the water and ice tasting great. Check all your water faucets to make sure there are no small leaks. Repairing the small leaks will prevent them from causing bigger issues.