Your buyer and home builder walk through meeting is your opportunity to examine your new Copperas Cove or Killeen home and to learn about how the systems of the house work. This important meeting is just for you, and is set up a day or two before your scheduled closing date.
Your home builder has worked for several months, using thousands of parts, to create your new home. It is an amazing process and one that has taken the professional skills of the home builder, the construction superintendent and all the subcontractors to bring all those parts together into the finished product. Everyone involved in the building process has walked through your home many times, noting defects and correcting them, in preparation for your inspection during your home builder walk through.
In spite of their careful inspections, though, it is always possible that some items were overlooked. The walk through is your time to inspect and point out the things that you feel need attention.
As you and the homebuilder walk through your new home, you should be checking these items:
- Finishes on walls and doors
- Nail pops in drywall
- Caulk around doors and windows
- Weatherstripping around exterior doors
- Finishes on cabinets
- Check that drawers open and close smoothly
- Check that cabinet doors are level
- Look closely at all countertops
- Look over appliances for scratches or dents
- Carpet - look for loose corners and defects
- Tile - check for cracks and for uneven tiles
- Windows - look for cracks and smooth operation
- Light fixtures and ceiling fans - note missing bulbs
- Doors - do they open and close smoothly
- Doors - is all hardware installed
- Look for gaps or voids in tile grout
- Outside - check for voids in the mortar between bricks
- Outside - check that water will drain away from the foundation
During your walk through appointment, the new home builder or his representative will also explain how the systems of the house work:
- Heating and air conditioning system
- Water Heater
- Electrical Panel
- GFCI plugs, both interior and exterior
- Programmable thermostat
- Lawn sprinkler system
- Whole house water cut off valve
- Sewer clean out location
- How to care for your tile, countertops and tubs
Do not hesitate to point out anything you want changed and ask all the questions that come to mind! Even though you have a one year builder warranty, the goal is to have everything done prior to closing.
It is much easier for the builder to schedule the trade people in to work if the house is vacant. This walk through gives him time fix the defects before you sign closing papers and move in to your new home. After closing, it's often difficult to schedule times for the repair men to come by and take care of things for you. Coordinating their schedules and your schedule could take 2-3 weeks.
Even though buyer and the new home builder walk through meeting takes some time, it's an essential part of buying a brand new home. Once you are finished with your inspection, you'll feel even more confident that your new home in Killeen or Copperas Cove is in great condition and ready for you to take possession at closing!
Copywright Jerry Wright Homes, Inc. 2010 © "The Buyer and New Home Builder Walk Through Meeting"