I hosted a teleconference with guests, Bernice Ross and De Anne Ottaway, with our take on the activity in New Orleans. As always, the networking was the best part! There was a REBAR Camp, an Active Rain get together and some Tweetups in addition to the official NAR events!
And here are the information and the links we shared:
The NAR Board of Directors made several changes in the professional standards arena at the NAR convention last week:
Approved a new Statement of Professional Standards to clarify NAR’s longstanding policy that the Case Interpretations of the Code of Ethics are official expressions of NAR policy that can be cited by complainants in support of alleged violations of specific Articles of the Code and by hearing panels in support of their decisions.
Amended Standard of Practice 12-5 to let members who are advertising their service or a listing in certain electronic communications (micro-blogging on Twitter, for example) to disclose the name of their broker and other required information through a link rather than in the electronic communication itself, because such formats don’t allow enough space for making the disclosures.
Amended Standard of Practice 3-7 to clarify that the requirement to disclose your relationship to your client to another NAR member when you’re seeking information about a property applies even if you’re not representing that client but rather are acting in another capacity, such as conducting an appraisal.
Amended Article 15, and Standards of Practice 15-2 and 15-3 to establish that even in cases where a real estate professional isn’t the competitor of another NAR member, the duty to refrain from knowingly or recklessly making false or misleading statements still applies. For instance, an NAR member engaging in appraisal might not be the competitor of a member engaging in property management but would still be barred from knowingly or recklessly making false or misleading statements about the other. This amendment and related standards require Delegate Body approval in November 2011.
Approved a new Standard of Practice related to Article 3 to provide a more visible explanation of what “cooperation” means in the Code of Ethics and Arbitration Manual. The new Standard says cooperation relates to the obligation to share information on listed property, and to make property available to other brokers for showing to prospective purchasers/tenants when it is in the best interests of sellers/landlords.
Article 10: Equal Rights Amendment Passes
Code of Ethics Amended
The NAR Delegate Body approved an amendment to Article 10 of the Code of Ethics to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. In a roll-call vote, more than 93 percent of the Delegate Body voted in favor of the amendment. The Delegate Body decision confirms a vote by the Board of Directors in May.
One of the cool things this year with the educational sessions was Bank of America sponsored fre.e online access to all sessions as part of the registration! The normal cost for these is $380, so that was quite a deal. If you didn’t get this, you can still listen to the sessions for $14.99 at www.PlaybackNAR.com. Some that I really liked were:
#4 Bernice Ross A Love-Hate Guide to Agent Profitability
#22 Shannon King Real Estate Road Warrior
#55 Nicole & Reggie Nicolay The Evolution of Real Estate Marketing
Bernice also recommended:
#86 Max Pigman Marketing Strategies To Grow Your Business
De Anne also recommended:
#18 Joseph Cotton Pricing the Luxury Estate
#28 Laurie Moore-Moore Developing Your Successful Luxury Home Marketing Plan
#29 Brian Buffini & Richard Bach Thriving in any Market:Building Bankable Relationships
I also am now trained to teach the new e-PRO Certification program that has been rolled out with a live 1st day session as an option. Lots of folks have wanted a live training and the new e-PRO is an up to date certification to give the agent all the skills they need to operate effectively and to be tech savvy. Current e-PROs will be offered a discount to take this program online. Clasees will be offered after the 1st of the year in locations across the country!
The Tools, Trade Show & Tips
1. www.soslink.com Free phone app for safety. It has an alarm, will take pictures automatically when engaged and call 2 people to tell them you are in trouble.
2. Kodak EasyShare M580 & Zi8 Pocket Video Cameras were offered on sale ($159.96 for the M580 and $129.95 for the Zi8). You can still get a discount on these through the end of November. The Zi8 has great stabilization built in and an audio plugin for an external mic. The M580 has a wide-angle lenses plus a button that will share to your YouTube or Facebook page! I love EASY Technology at LOW prices!!!! Make these part of your budget for 2011 or ask for them as Christmas presents (or just go buy right now to SAVE!)
3.Realtor.com is now offering free profiles for all agents-fill yours out
4.Get free content for your blogging, website, or social media at www.HouseLogic.com
5. The 2010 Home Buyer and Sellers Profile is available! ACCESS THE PDF NOW USING YOUR REALTOR.ORG MEMBER LOGIN. The RIGHTTOOLS/RIGHTNOW program is going away at the end of the year…there are over 200 free or at cost items there. Take advantage of them before they are no longer available.
1. QR Codes You need to download a QR reader for your smart phone and then you are ready!
2. Dropbox.com to transfer large files & backup specific files on line. You can also synch to multiple computers.
3. Evernote.com to take notes and get rid of paper. Stores your data in the cloud.
4. Slydial.com for people who tack. Slydial from any phone iPhone. Sends direct to voicemail on a cell phone.
5. www. Drivesafe.ly $7.99/ month: Get in car turn it on and will stream through blue tooth will read text messages and responds. Does read emails. Turns on aromatically when bluetooth is on.
6. Milog. Mileage tracker
7. Zosh.com $2.99. Print sign and fax sign with your finger. Hit send
8. Websites with syndication and great analytics from Point2Agent. A free 3 month trial is available here.
9. www.hootsuite.com to manage & schedule Tweets
10. Site for staging homes http://www.unitedlane.com/landing-page/realestatecoach/
If you aren’t signed up for Bernice’s daily show, click the link below to start enjoying this! There are lots of archives there as well!
Bernice Ross, CEO
12400 Hwy 71 W Suite 350-343 Austin TX 78738
Follow her on Twitter @BRoss Named New and Notable by iTunes! www.RealEstateCoachRadio.com
Five minutes a day to get the best content from the best speakers in the real estate industry!
De Anne shared great information about how she networks at conventions as well as the educational sessions she recommended. If you ever need a great agent to refer to in Santa Fe, here is her contact information:
A Little Shameless Promotion
Have you started planning your 2011? Here are two ways to hit the ground running:
1. Get a plan! It’s said that people with written goals out-produce others by 10x. If you are ready to be part of that elite group….I just released my Awesome Year Planning Guide for 2011. You can get yours now for only $12 or if you have an office or other group, the price drops to $5 each for 5 or unlimited copies for $98. One loan officer I know buys the unlimited version and gives it to the agents she works with each year! What a nice idea!
2. MAKE SURE YOUR BUSINESS PLAN GETS DONE!!!! I’ve created a special tele-conference series that will take you step-by-step through the plan over a 4-week period:
Creating Your Plan for 2011 - Your investment for these 4 sessions is only $79 and includes a copy of the Awesome Year Plan!
The dates and times are:
Mondays November 22 & 29 and December 6 & 13
2 PM ET, 1 PM CT, Noon AZ & MT, 11 AM PT, 9 AM Hawaii
The sessions will coach you personally to get that plan done. Limited to 20 participants. Don’t miss it! The calls will be recorded if you can’t make them all.